Juniper Berries, Macedonia 1 oz
– Blue juniper is the edible round berry of an evergreen shrub with a distinct, aromatic odor.
– Traditionally used in northern/central European and Scandinavian cuisine to give a sharp, clear flavor to meats.
– Juniper is also used to flavor gin and also for sauerkraut.
– In herbal medicine, juniper berries are most often used as a diuretic.
– Eastern European juniper has more of a straight piney-juniper flavor than Italian juniper.
– Crush the berries with mortar and pestle before using, or place in thick plastic bag and crush with a mallet.
– Compatible with rye beer, and blends well with the citrus notes of ginger, orange peel, licorice root, and coriander.