American Heavy Toasted Oak Chips
– Adds oak barrel flavor to any beer.
– Made from seasoned American and French Oak staves which are chipped down and convection-toasted to create flavors similar to what a comparably toasted barrel would impart.
– It’s important to understand that each toasting level creates different flavors in the oak; not a greater intensity of impact in your beer.
– Don’t think of them as weak, normal & strong; they’re each a different flavor profile.
– Heavy Toast American Oak chips will impart strong flavors of Vanilla & Char, with a small note of Clove. These chips will not impart the coconut flavor often characteristic of lower toast American oaks.
– Because of the high surface area, oak chips can extract quickly and care should be taken not to overdo it. Taste your beer frequently after the first week of contact and be ready to rack off the oak chips.
1 – 2 oz per 5 gallons.